Saturday, April 23, 2011

Life in the underbrush


Last year I planted a watermelon. The bees pretty much ignored it so I'd venture out early and make the flowers kiss. I ended up with one small tasty watermelon.

I noticed last year that the bees *loved* the oregano and took up near permanent residence when it was blooming. So this year I planted my watermelon between two oregano plants. As the watermelon grows I'll direct the vines around them so the flowers will be very near each other.

Tired of the critters digging up my food plants I tucked the plants among the weeds - here dying freesia and wild grass. The grass has acted as a nurse plant while my tender plants were young. The skunk and raccoons don't seem to like to walk near it or on it, so have left my young plantings alone.

I'm going to cross my fingers and see how this year's plan works.

No comments:

Post a Comment