Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dreaming of Bread

I went to the doctor yesterday as I've been suffering from what seems to me to be sleeping sickness. I'd had a cold for two weeks, and then got better - better, but still with a bad cough and a dearth of energy.

The doctor believes I'm suffering from allergies and loaded me up with pharmaceuticals, which at this point I will take.

I want to say that the culprit is olive pollen, or the pollen from the giant Victorian Box (mock orange) that grows next door and dusts our property with all sorts of litter. I've heard, though, that it's probably never what you expect, but rather something flowering at the same time as those things you want to blame.

I feel like Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz, when she falls asleep in the poppy field. Last week's snow held promise, but the flakes melted and evaporated before they reached me.=(

There has been no bread. I broke down and bought a nice looking loaf of sourdough at Trader Joe's. It tastes like Wonder Bread but without the downy softness. The true danger of homemade bread is never being able to go back to that other stuff that is labeled "bread".

1 comment: