Saturday, December 4, 2010

What a great Saturday!

This morning we woke up and slogged our way over to Pasadena for a class at Ardenwoods Edibles with Nysha Dahlgren and Craig (what IS his last name?) of Winnetka Farms on growing winter vegetables.

What can I say? I had the best time. Great funny, smart people, that we really liked. We kind of all just sat around and shot the shit while feasting on luscious salads, ciabatta, Nysha's delectable homemade soups, and Christmas cookies. It was supposed to be urban but ended up urbane.

(The pictures I took were horrible so I won't include them.)


When we left we were sent on a pilgrimage to Roma Italian Market and Deli, just around the corner. We walked in and quickly found the owner - a wonderful, proud and conspiratorial man behind the deli counter. He gave us generous samples of cheese and cotto and prosciutto. He pressed upon us wine and recommended a panetone for Christmas. We discovered his olive bread and had gave us hulking samples of that with more cotto, so we bought a loaf. I kept thinking of Omar Khayyam, "A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou, Beside me singing in the Wilderness--Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"


We left the store and headed to Theodore Payne Native Nursery. We picked up a mantilla poppy for me, a golden current bush for our food forest, and an apricot mallow for Ken. We also bought two packages of native sunflower seeds and two horse chestnuts.

Then I came home to S&F (stretch and fold) my sourdough. I was a little late and it was crawling out of the bowl. Couldn't believe how it looked.


Life is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment