Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mad about trombetta


We're getting a fresh crop of fruit. Last week we had some blossom rot. It was hella hot which may have had something to do with it. I added some calcium as the plant works so hard I thought it might need it. Pretty, though, eh?


I was curious as to what was causing this pattern of destruction on my sunflower leaves. I could not find any bugs anywhere near. The other day I found out - the bushtits - not much bigger than hummingbirds - sit on the stalk and peck away as if it were their own personal salad bar. Cute.


Eggplant is one of the prettiest plants in the garden - big scalloped green leaves with purple fuzz, deadly nightshade flowers and defensive thorns. Made a lovely stir fry the other day with Japanese eggplants and homegrown shiitake mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment